Saturday, March 5, 2011

Pho - Asian Medicinal Soup

I know spring is coming as soon as my sinuses clog up, my nose drips, my eyes itch, my throat gets all scratched up, and my voice sounds like a desperate moose in heat. Ah spring! This is the time, more than ever, that I need some Asian medicinal love in the form of a beautiful bowl of Vietnamese noodle soup called Pho. Pronounced Fuh. Here's my bowl from the fabulous hole-in-the-wall-all-they-make-is-pho Pho 75 in Rockville.


The thin slivers of eye-of-round steak is served raw and cooks up in the hot broth. I add lime, tons of bean sprouts and a nice dab of sriracha red sauce and I'm in heaven. The funny thing is I didn't grow up with Pho. My first encounter with pho was in my late twenties, but it was love at first bite and I've never turned back. It got me to thinking of all the wonderful different foods that I've been exposed to in my life and how much I love the diversity that is available to us in this day and age. I've fallen in love with Belgium food in Montreal, had the best Indian food in Spain, had the best tapas in Washington, DC, the best French food in-well, in France! And talk about amazing, innovative Japanese food at Nobu NY.

So tell me, what cuisine reigns supreme for you? What didn't you have growing up that you now couldn't live without?

12 comments:

Ellen Booraem said...

Believe it or not, we used to have a place that served pho in Blue Hill, Maine. Got me addicted and then it closed. Maybe I'll have to try making it. Got any good recipes?

dagger16 said...

...When I was young (and still now), my family would go to the same Pho 75. >_>. It's hard to say what foods that I didn't have growing up that I do now, because I'm not exactly "grown up" yet. But a favorite of mine is A&J also in Rockville, because there's great Chinese food and it's not expensive at all. It's sort of like comfort food,and it never gets old.

Bish Denham said...

A bowl of Caribbean red pea (kidney bean) soup is something I surely do miss from home.

Richard Levangie said...

A dab of Sriracha? Looking at the photo, you're obviously my kind of woman!

I've mentioned that food features prominently in my WIP, and 13-year-old Jacob does indeed make pho for Mrs. Nguyen to bring about a thaw in their painful relationship.

For me, pho is comfort food. We go to a strip mall in the seedy part of town, and they bring me a huge, steaming bowl, and then give us a 10 percent discount afterward for once reviewing their restaurant on Smart Like Streetcar.

I love just about every cuisine the world has to offer, though I have a special fondness now for those that allow me to maintain my vegetarian lifestyle (yes, I do make an exception for pho).

I had one amazing meal in 1992 at Tojo's in Vancouver, which some describe as the best Japanese restaurant outside of Japan. I gave them $50, and told them to feed me. I know I ate stuff I'd never eat in a thousand years, but the sushi was exquisite.

Charles Gramlich said...

Probably sushi at this point.

Stephen Parrish said...

I've been most ecstatic eating tapas in Madrid and Indian food in London.

Catherine Vibert said...

***drools*** I love pho, and I haven't had a good bowl of it since I left San Francisco. YUM!

Caroline Tung Richmond said...

Ahhh, Pho 75! Justin and I go there at LEAST once a week. Oftentimes two. It's so yummy, fast, and super cheap! The ultimate bowl of comfort food.

Hmm, what food that I can't live without now? It's not a food per se, but I'm addicted to the chai tea lattes at Panera. I have at least two a week...so delicious!

Dagger16, my family loves A&J too! It's one of my dad's favorite restaurants.

moonrat said...

not just a moose in heat--a DESPERATE one. heehee. sorry you're suffering, and wish i had some pho, too!

Beth said...

I found your blog through Literary Rambles. Congratulations to you!

Matthew MacNish said...

I've always loved Thai Tom Yum, but Pho is pretty awesome too.

And there is no better condiment in the world than Tuong ot Sriracha. None.

playbazaar said...

Satta king
this is superb!!

Search This Blog